What is Hypnobirthing?
My dream is that every woman, everywhere, will know the joy of a safe, satisfying birth for both her baby and herself – one she’ll not need to forget.
Marie F Mongan 1999
A growing number of couples are discovering the wonders of Hypnobirthing, a complete birth education programme which teaches them how to achieve easy, comfortable and natural childbirth, with many mothers experiencing little or even no pain.
Hypnobirthing, offers a philosophical approach to childbirth that works with the belief that pain is not necessary, and that a woman’s body is perfectly designed to give birth to a baby. Pain is usually caused by fear and tension and this can be eliminated when the body is relaxed. The techniques taught during the course enable parents to release fears, to relax and embrace the birth of their baby, allowing them to achieve the natural, calm, easy and comfortable birth they have planned and prepared for. By the end of the course, parents often feel excited, confident and looking forward, educated with techniques that allow them to take control of the birth instead of allowing fear and lack of knowledge to influence the event.
“Thanks for equipping us with the confidence to hypno birth it was indispensible and the midwives were all really impressed by my calmness throughout the labour” (Launa and Kirsty)
Some of the things you will learn
- How your mind can and does affect your body – for better and for worse. It’s your choice!
- Why birthing doesn’t have to hurt (and why it often does to women who believe it will).
- See inspiring dvd’s of women birthing easily and comfortably (say good-bye to visions of screaming women digging their nails into their husbands!)
- Learn self-hypnosis techniques, helped by your partner, to use during pregnancy.
- Learn ways of deeply relaxing during pregnancy, using tools which you and your baby will grow to love and which will be beneficial after your baby has arrived.
- Learn about nutrition, exercise in pregnancy and perineal massage.
Preparing for the birth
- Release your fears about your birth – using well established hypnosis techniques.
- Create the perfect birthing environment for you wherever you choose to.
- Write your personal birth plan, and learn language to use to work with medical staff to get your best birth.
- How and why to avoid artificial induction of labour.
About the birth
- Learn what your body is doing during the three stages of labour.
- Learn specific and vitally helpful breathing and visualisation techniques for each of the stages.
- Your birthing partner will learn how to deepen your relaxation using hypnosis techniques and specific massage techniques that really work. (A really special, integral role).
- Learn about positioning for an optimal birth, and how to deal with slowed down progress during labour.
- Learn to eliminate fatigue during labour, leaving you fresh, awake and with energy during and after birthing.
However, best to see for yourself during your labour and after! Some facts
- Shorter labour by between 2 to 3 hours
- Reduction of complications and surgery
- Shorter hospital stay
- Increase in satisfaction ratings reported by mums
- Reduction of Post Natal Depression
- Increase in baby’s apgar scores (health of baby after birth)
- Babies are shown to cry less, sleep and feed better and are generally calmer
You can watch this video on U-Tube, as an Introduction to Hypnobirthing.
I can’t promise you a ‘perfect’ birth – no one can – but I can promise you a much more comfortable and relaxed birth than you would have without Hypnobirthing. Even if you experience complications – perhaps needing to be induced, or if you need a caesarean – you can still benefit greatly from the techniques by feeling in control of your birth.
To help fit around you and your birth companion’s schedule, I offer different options to suit all so please enquire if you can’t find one listed that suits you.
Courses are suitable at almost any stage of pregnancy, although the ideal is between 20-30 weeks. However, regardless of how many weeks you are a course can be arranged to suit your time scale and availability. Even at 38 weeks you can go on to have more comfortable birth so if you have any queries, just call or email for a chat. If you are looking to start a course after the dates shown, then please contact me and this can easily be arranged.
To avoid disappointment, please try to book in advance as courses can fill up quickly, although it’s best to check as there may be spaces. Groups are kept small enough to ensure that individual needs are fully satisfied and that techniques are mastered so that you leave feeling confident in your ability to give birth using Hypnobirthing.
The price includes:
- A Hypnobirthing course handbook
- Attendance for both you and your birthing companion(s)
- All course materials
- A Relaxation & Calm Birth Affirmations CD
- Practise manual
- Support after the course